You know that it is time for you to look for a new car when your current vehicle keeps breaking down. It is also safe to say that it is time to replace your carpet when you can no longer get stains out or if it is frayed. You will also see that you need to replace clothing if the pieces go out of style or they no longer fit. You will also see that it is time to replace your phone when newer models come out.
However, how will you know when it is time to replace your roof at home? The tipping point where you need to replace your roof may not always be apparent unless it ends up catching fire, gets crushed by a tree or it collapses. Changing out just a few shingles may solve a leak for a little while, but there could be a full replacement in your near future.
These are the top signs that you are in for a roof replacement:
1. It has aged. Many roofs will have to be replaced at around 20 years, so if you haven’t replaced your roof in two decades, you should start to think about saving up the funds or planning out the replacement process on your home.
2. Your roof looks bad. When you are worried about curb appeal, your roof can say quite a bit about the look of your home. If the roof takes away from the aesthetics of your property, you can start to think about replacement. Step into the street and look for any areas of your roof that has large streaks on the shingles or any areas that look worn around vents and/or your chimney.
3. The shingles look rough. Perform a close up inspection of your shingles on the roof. If a lot of them seem to be stained, wet, bent, curled under, darker than usual or broken, it is time to think about replacing them immediately.
4. You are noticing granules. When the shingles on your roof start to deteriorate, they will start to break off little bits that resemble coarse, dark sand. When you start to see the granules in your gutters, landscaping, and yard, they are coming from the roof.
5. There is paint that is peeling, staining or bubbling on your ceiling or upper walls. A roof that is leaky could cause deterioration of your exterior paint at the roofline. It can also begin to seep into the walls of your home, staining the inside walls as well.
6. The roofing deck looks bad. The deck of your roof is made up of the support beams holding the roof and shingles up. If the beams are showing moisture damage or sagging, you need to think about replacing the shingles as well as your roof deck.
7. There is a leak in your attic. You could start to notice signs of water on the inside of your attic right after a storm or when snow melts. The roof could also leak light. If you are able to see inside your attic without a light, it could be time for a replacement.
Roof replacements can be a very costly investment for your home, so you need to be sure that it is done right. Be sure that you find someone who is experienced and can be up front with all of the repairs and costs, as well as stands behind all of their work. Never procrastinate when it comes to a roof replacement, or it can cause you to have higher repair bills in the future.